Software Engineer - Machine Learning Infrastructure at Formant
San Francisco, California, United States
🇺🇸 (Posted Jan 9 2019)
About the company
Founded by a team of former Google, Savioke, and Redwood Robotics software engineers, roboticists, and product managers—Formant believes that more efficient cloud infrastructure can help unlock the shared potential of humans and robots.
Formant is building cloud infrastructure to support the next generation of automation - autonomous tractors, warehousing robots, security robots, and delivery drones.
We’re looking for a software engineer with a focus on machine learning infrastructure to join the team in San Francisco.
In this role you will evolve and maintain machine learning pipelines that operate on petabytes of semi-structured sensor and perception data.
As a team, we value humility, communication, and creativity. We take pride in our craft.
We’re also inspired by the intersection of software and the physical world; in particular what is possible when sensing and actuation is backed by the pace and scale of cloud-native technology.
We’re still stealthy but our product is in field trials -- please reach out for more information.
Skills & requirements
- Integrate with existing data acquisition infrastructure to build services for feature engineering, model training, and model inference.
- Deploy and maintain production ML infrastructure that serves both customers and internal teams.
- Work with product and engineering to identify emerging ML capabilities and product opportunities.
- Shape the future of cloud robotics
- 4+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Hands-on experience across the ML lifecycle, from data curation and feature engineering through model training and deployment.
- Deep familiarity with open-source ML frameworks and hosted ML product offerings.
- Experience shipping ML-enabled user experience in production.
- Strong written communication skills
- Experience in a statically-typed, compiled language such as C++, Java, or Go
- Strong grounding in systems fundamentals (concurrency, databases, distributed systems)
- Experience with robotics or automation technologies
- Experience building SDKs, developer tools, and a developer community
- A love for great tools (e.g. fast, correct, and reproducible builds, releases, test suites)