Senior Backend Engineer at Layer
Remote › Worldwide, 100% remote position (Posted Sep 6 2021)
All-remote work style, work anywhere. Currently we prefer teammates to be within UTC to UTC+5
Layer is building a machine learning operating system to empower data science teams to implement end-to-end machine learning effortlessly; from feature engineering, version control to model deployment. Layer helps teams to build, train and deploy ML into production at scale. Most importantly, Layer sits on top of your existing data and tech stack and works in your dev environment for you with zero friction.
Layer has an all remote culture as we aspire to work with the best talent, no matter where they live. We firmly believe that exceptional companies can only be built by exceptional people, who are passionate about their work, grounded, achieve more with less, full of grit, challenge themselves and their team relentlessly to do better, and have radical candor. Our team and culture is paramount to all else.
Your mission in this role is to design and build features for our backend systems that enable ML and Data Science teams. On top of that, you will be providing a data and service interfaces to enable third party developers to develop custom components that can run seamlessly in our system. To achieve this, you will be part of all stages of product development from idea-generation to shipping.
What we look for in you:
Significant experience in building services with Java
Rock-solid engineering background in Software Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics
Strong knowledge on data structures & algorithms
Nice to haves:
Having built ML or data science platforms
Deep understanding of distributed systems
Experience with Kubernetes
Open source contributions to relevant, important projects
What we value
- Strong communication skills in this multi-national open environment.
- Skills to work independently and make decisions with minimal supervision.
- Interest in working in a dynamic environment with dynamic objectives.
Technologies we use
- We favor and support open-source.
- We mainly use Java in the backend with some Scala/Python. GraphQL and TypeScript on the frontend.
- Spark, Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS, CircleCI are important parts of infrastructure.
What we offer
- All-remote work style, work anywhere. Currently we prefer teammates to be within UTC to UTC+5
- Equity plan
- Highly competitive salary (above-market rates)